Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hussain Haroon to call it a day

Updated at: 0703 PST, Monday, November 01, 2010
Hussain Haroon to call it a day NEW YORK: Pakistan's ambassador to the UN Husain Abdullah Haroon has informed Islamabad that he has no intention of continuing as Pakistan's ambassador to the United Nations any more. Haroon's contract as Pakistan's permanent representative to the United Nations was extended last month and he was supposed to work until September next year.

Speaking to a group of friends and journalists after the annual dinner meeting of American Pakistani Physicians of North America (APPNA), New York Chapter, on Saturday night Mr Haroon said: "I am 60 years old and want to do something else for my nation while staying in Pakistan. That is why I have informed the authorities that I am coming back".

When Haroon, who plans to fly back to Pakistan in a few days, was asked about chances of his return to New York, he said: "I don't think I will be coming back". Asked if this conversation could be published, he said: "Yes, you can publish but it will make my friends in Islamabad angry."

A close aide to Haroon said the government was still trying to persuade Haroon to change his mind. "He will perhaps leave for Pakistan on November 4 to meet the president and the prime minister and would be back to finish the remaining work even if he does not change his mind," the aide said on condition of anonymity.

Earlier speaking at the reception, Haroon said he does not agree with the Hillary Clinton that the rich in Pakistan have not helped their flood-hit fellow Pakistanis.

Popular Posts